Pre-Referral Negotiation Definition
A Pre-Referral Negotiation (PRN) package signed by the Regional Administrator or designee and sent to DOJ or Headquarters.
Information entered into ICIS at this stage should be supported by the following source document:
– PRN package (i.e., Mini-Litigation Report) that is signed by the Regional Administrator or designee.
For complete reporting of a pre-referral notification:
• a judicial enforcement action record must be entered with all information required by ICIS and mandatory by OECA for accomplishment credit;
• ‘Pre-Referral Notification’ must be selected in the Enforcement Action Type field; and
• the date the Regional Administrator or designee signs the PRN package must be entered as the ‘actual date’ for the ‘PRN Sent’ sub activity.
Enter the following information that is required by ICIS on the Add Judicial Enforcement Action screen:
• Enforcement Action Name;
• Enforcement Action Type;
• Enforcement Action Identifier;
• Federal Statutes Violated;
• Sections Violated;
• National MOA Priority or Regional Priority or Core Priorities;
• Lead EPA Attorney;
• Lead Technical Contact;
• Violation Type (not required for CERCLA);
• Pollutant (not required for CERCLA or RCRA); and
Enter the following information that is designated National Reporting field by OECA for credit on the Defendant/Respondent/PRP Side Menu screen:
• Defendant/Respondent Name.•
Enter the following information that is designated National Reporting field by OECA for credit on the Sub Activities Side Menu screen:
• Referred to DOJ ‘actual date’ or Supplemental Referral - Adding Parties, counts ‘actual date’ or Supplemental Referral - Consent Decree Enforcement ‘actual date’ or Supplemental Referral - Other ‘actual date’.
Refer to Appendix III - Enforcement Action Field Definitions and Guidance for definitions and guidance specific to each field.