Properly Identifying Federal Facilities in ICIS
SUPERSEDED - Please refer to most RECENT GUIDANCE
All enforcement actions involving federal facilities are considered “Nationally Significant” and proper identification in ICIS for management and external reporting is critical.
There are two types of general federal facilities in ICIS, the traditional “Federal Facility” category and the “GOCO (Government Owned/Contractor Operated)” category. The federal facility category encompasses the majority of the Federal universe and includes facilities owned and operated by the Military, Department of Energy, and all other Civilian Federal agency facilities. The “GOCO (Government Owned/Contractor Operated)” category is an umbrella term for a number of federal categories such as Government Owned/Contractor Operator, Formerly Used Defense Sites (FUDS), etc. For a detailed listing of the different categories of federal facilities with examples, please refer to the spreadsheet “Federal Facility Type of Ownership” available in IPOD.
It is important to note that the primary identification of federal facilities for mid/end of year reporting will be done through a combination of fields including the “Facility Type of Ownership” (under the facilities universe) and the activity name. To insure that all traditional and “other” federal facilities are properly counted during reporting, the “Facility Site Name” (under the “Linked Facility” section in ICIS) should be the federal/ GOCO where the activity actually took place at.
Users can only edit the “Facility Type of Ownership” field for facility records that were first created in ICIS. If this field is “grayed out” the User may have to update the federal facility field in its database of origin (i.e., CERCLIS, RCRAInfo, PCS, etc) or add-in “(FF)” at the end of the activity name. Additionally, insert the abbreviation (FF) at the end of the activity name for activities related to Federal interests but that occurred on a non-Federal facility (i.e., private gas station within a military base) site.
SUMMARY OF ICIS DATA ENTRY FIELDS:
1. When creating a new activity (Enforcement Action, Compliance Monitoring, etc), link the “Facility Site Name” to the Federal facility where the activity actually occurred.
2. Select either the category “Federal Facility” or “GOCO (Government Owned/Contractor Operated)” under the “Facility Type of Ownership” for all FE&C records related to Federal facility interests.
3. For activities involving a Federal facility interest but the facility linked to the activity in ICIS is either non-Federal or cannot be updated properly, insert the abbreviation “(FF)” at the end of the Activity name.
ICIS DATA ENTRY GUIDELINES:
1. The following steps apply to both the Enforcement Action and Compliance Monitoring Activity Universes.
2. After opening or creating a record, click on the “Facilities” tab (Upper left hand corner, just under EPA logo).
3. Under the “List of Facilities” linked to the record, open the Federal facility (or facilities)
4. Under the section “Other Facility Information” (right-side of page), click on the drop-down menu next to the field “Facility Type of Ownership”.
5. Select either “Federal Facility” or “GOCO (Government Owned/Contractor Operated)” as applicable.
6. Click “Save”.
Alternatively, for activities involving a Federal facility interest but the facility linked to the activity in ICIS is either non-Federal or cannot be updated properly, insert the abbreviation “(FF)” at the end of the Activity name (shown in the example below).